eddie368

Change the exhaust tone on the ST

Does anyone  know how the exhaust sound gets more aggressive when you change to the sport mode in the ST? Is it done electronically ? And if so does the sound become louder both inside and outside of the car?Please explain.  Thanks

Although I don't own a ST (but I'd love to…  :drool: ), I've read several posts on the "other" Edge site and it appears that the engine sound comes inside the cabin through the speakers!… which I find a little "gimmicky" isn't it?... :nonono:

Claude. 

Does anyone  know how the exhaust sound gets more aggressive when you change to the sport mode in the ST? Is it done electronically ? And if so does the sound become louder both inside and outside of the car?Please explain.  Thanks

It is amplified engine noise through the speakers. They seem to have disabled it it recent builds though as mine does not have it. 

Since I originally asked this question I found that my ST was not making much noise on the inside of the car in sport mode. But the other day I was at a stop light and I put it in sport mode then hit the the down shift handle one time,then pushed the gas to the floor and the exhaust noise was much louder inside,much to my surprise! Still sounds like crap!

1 hour ago, eddie368 said:

Since I originally asked this question I found that my ST was not making much noise on the inside of the car in sport mode. But the other day I was at a stop light and I put it in sport mode then hit the the down shift handle one time,then pushed the gas to the floor and the exhaust noise was much louder inside,much to my surprise! Still sounds like crap!

MRT now makes an Edge SRT exhaust system.  They are run by ex-Ford program engineers that did the Bullitt and Mach1 Mustangs.

https://www.shopmrt.com/Ford-Edge-ST-p/91e110.htm"

Here's a link to the new Edge ST Exhaust system:

Edited by Robert

I would like to figure out how to turn if off.  I took my sound symposer out of my Focus ST when I had it because I like natural exhaust and engine sounds. 

I'd be thrilled to keep the noise cancelling function but turn off the piped in awful sound.  I believe you can disable the whole thing via forscan but it also kills the noise cancelling function as well.

54 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

I'd be thrilled to keep the noise cancelling function but turn off the piped in awful sound.  I believe you can disable the whole thing via forscan but it also kills the noise cancelling function as well.

I was trying to think of a way to determine if noise cancellation is still working on mine since it doesn't have the piped in engine noise. The car is very quiet. I would say a bit quieter than my 2011 was. 

4 hours ago, fingernip said:

I was trying to think of a way to determine if noise cancellation is still working on mine since it doesn't have the piped in engine noise. The car is very quiet. I would say a bit quieter than my 2011 was. 

That's what I have been reading too - that's it a little too quiet.  I think Ford has to strike a delicate balance with the Edge ST that wasn't AS much as important with the Mustangs. 

I have to be honest, and it's coming from someone who LOVES a good exhaust note, I think they did well on the Edge.  The v6 just doesn't have a great note so in a vehicle like that, I'd prefer the quiet.  The piped in sound is just flat out awful.  Now on the other hand, one thing I don't care for on my V is how quiet it is.  I complained to people for the first several months I had it how quiet it is vs my previous SRT and they all looked at me like I was nuts.  It wasn't until I followed another V one day that i realized it was just quiet INSIDE. lol.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, MrHappy said:

I have to be honest, and it's coming from someone who LOVES a good exhaust note, I think they did well on the Edge.  The v6 just doesn't have a great note so in a vehicle like that, I'd prefer the quiet.  The piped in sound is just flat out awful.  Now on the other hand, one thing I don't care for on my V is how quiet it is.  I complained to people for the first several months I had it how quiet it is vs my previous SRT and they all looked at me like I was nuts.  It wasn't until I followed another V one day that i realized it was just quiet INSIDE. lol.

And, to confirm, after all this time, do you still think your ST is quiet?

Your exhaust is still stock, no?