Phil Nomore

2020 Edge ST Performance Brakes Winter Tires

Hello, all!

So I bought a 2020 Edge ST today with the performance brakes and want to order snow tires or all season tires ASAP for a northeast winter.

I have a few questions, and I am not a gear head so feel free to make fun of me when I say something stupid. My wife will be doing the majority of the driving of this vehicle.

1. Looking a Tire Rack they offer minus one minus two and minus three inch tire and wheel packages. I do minus one inch on my other non-SUV vehicle. Never heard of going with a 2 or 3 inch smaller tire. Can anyone provide thoughts or guidance?

2. With the sport profile tire I am assuming an all season would not be a good choice, so I am planning on just swapping already mounted wheels and tires out each season like I currently do for my other car,  Is anyone that has real winter weather using all-season tires?

I read the other post, and as see someone is running 20” tires is that year round in the winter.

Thanks in advance. We are replacing her 2013 Edge SEL V6 with this Edge ST.

Phil

I went with -1" size down for Winter only snow tires, Nov to April.

I thought a -2' or -3" wheel size would look kind of funky on the car, although the aspect

ratio of the tire makes the sidewall taller to compensate for overall height. The smaller

wheel diameter would not look right in my opinion.

I see no reason to go with all season tires, as the 21" Pzero's are fine for May to Oct driving.

I also bought a package deal (wheels/tires/TPMS) so that I wouldn't need to

have the summer tires dismounted from the OEM wheels.

I am very pleased with the tires I selected. I replaced an Escape with Cooper AT3 tires

with the Edge ST, and the snow tires I have perform just as well as the Cooper ATs did.

Greetings. I have the same scenario as Phil. A new 2020 ST with the performance brake package. I also noted that tirerack will happily seel 18, 19, 20, or 21 inch wheels. Is this guidance trust worthy given the performance brake package. My wife is the primary driver and benefits from knowing that there are dedicated winter tires on her vehicle. I was considering a 20 inch wheel/tire combo but uncertain about what size wheels will actually fit. I will likely emulate @Touringmike in tire size selection.

thanks

Brad

Hi Brad if it helps we ended up going 19” and bought 245/55R19 Cooper Evolution Winters. I put them on 19X8 5-108 ET48 MONTE MT7# and included the TPS so I just swap them out at season change with the summers.

It cost me $1400 at tire rack.
Regards,
Phil

Thanks Phil. Appreciate the quick response and information. I have to admit I am a bit confused by various posts that note problems with fit with smaller wheel sizes on the ST. I suppose it really depends on the specific wheel and how it is designed.

Brad

Yeah, Brad. I went through the same confusion. It seems the sport brakes don’t really impact the wheel fit (correct me folks). And if you go tire rack they guarantee the package you put together to fit.

Phil