maavalous1

Start/Stop - There goes my starter

OK... it all sounds good and looks good on paper.  But, after seeing some of these ideas result... are we going to be buying starters every 3 years (conveniently after warranty expires) to keep these running?

Just saying... not accusing... what are your thoughts?

If you don't want to use the start/stop feature, then you can turn it off.

Yes, I'm hoping (fairly certain) there will be a vehicle setting for turning it off.  Frankly, unless you live in a quiet suburb or the boonies, I can't imagine wanting it on.  I big city traffic jams, it would dive you crazy and certainly lead to premature failures.

That being said, most car owners don't know how to set half the settings on their car.  This one will likely be left on and result in lots of complaints... which is what happened by MyFord Touch.  People didn't take time to understand it so they just complained about it and Ford's quality ratings took a dive.

Electric hybrid cars do this, but that is quite different.  You are doing your start/stop on electric motor.

It could come with it off by default, but we just don't know. Since you know this will be a feature that you don't seem to like from your tone, then you can always select another vehicle other than the Edge.

I will wait to see the reviews of this feature before passing judgement, and if I don't like it, then I will just turn it off.

Starter failures on these new vehicles are really, really low.  Components are getting much better and I am willing to bet that the stop/start starters will be designed to meet the challenge as they've been used in the E.U. for many years now.

Is it known that Ford will not be using a design like Mazda where it stops on a compression stroke and simply fires the cylinder to restart the engine rather than using the starter?

Is it known that Ford will not be using a design like Mazda where it stops on a compression stroke and simply fires the cylinder to restart the engine rather than using the starter?

Unknown at this point.  What has Ford been using on other models?  This system has been out in Europe for a few years now, no?

I have the Autostop Eliminator as described in the post above. Using it for about 6 months now, works flawlessly. Plug & play, detailed installation instructions. It sits inside the ST's center console.

Got mine today.

Took less than 5 minutes to install.

Works as advertised, selection retained after shut down on next start.

Either activated or deactivated.