jjwalkers

Flat Towing 2015 Edge Behind Motorhome

I just bought a 2015 Ford Edge Titanium and since I had the 3.5 engine, I used the Blueox 2656 Baseplate and was in the process of using the recommended wiring harness BX 8848 when I found out blueox has excluded that harness as of 8-7-2015. My tech had already put in 2 hours doing the wiring when we found this out. Blueox said at this time they don't have a recommened wiring harness as a replacement. Nice timing. They charged me 2 hours labor and I still don't have a any wiring.

Blueox didn't say what the problem was except that wiring harness BX 8848 doesn't work.

I have now learned from Blueox, that there apparently isn't anything wrong with the wiring harness but 2 techs 

have called them with problems about not finding the brake light cables to tap into. Because of this, blueox is working on the problem. It doesn't make sense to me as blue has done 3 of these vehicles.

I have a 2016 Titanium 3.5 and am getting it ready to tow. I ordered the BX 2657 base plate because it's a few inches lower and is more in line with my MH hitch, but similar. I ordered the Hopkins HM56011 light kit that is supposed to work with the Edge, hope it does.

One question, anyone know why Ford wants the battery disconnected for towing? I have a Brake Buddy and need constant 12v power in the vehicle. I plan on adding one of the RVi Brake tow charge gadgets, I think the only issue the factory has is a drained battery after a long tow and this should take care of that.

Jerrybb

I live in the SF South Bay Area and am in the process of buying a 2017 Edge Titanium, 3.5L to be towed behind our Tiffin Allegro Bus.  I am planning to use the Blue Ox BX2657 baseplate and the Hopkins HM56011 wiring kit, same as you.  How are they working for you and where did you get the installation work done?  Does the baseplate work with the Edge Active Cruise Control?  Any other lessons you have learned on the topic would be most helpful and appreciated.

I finished my installation a few months ago, bought almost everything from Etrailer, including a rear trailer hitch for a bike rack. The lighting kit with the diodes works well, the main problem is cramming the boxes into the small space. Mine is a 2016, earlier ones may have more room but I had to jam the diode boxes into the fender space below the lights. Also re the battery disconnect, I wanted to keep power on for my Brake Buddy (had to add an additional 12v outlet, all others are on the key) so I put in a 7 pin connector in front with a charge line to keep the battery up.

I did it all myself, putting the base plate in is a bugger, an 1-1/4" hole saw is required and it's tight getting things back together. Now that it's done, it tows well, no problems except it's pretty heavy. I don't know the weight but I think prob 4500 or so. Happy to answer questions if needed.

jerrybb

Thanks for the information.  Since I live in the SF South Bay I called all the baseplate installers recommended by Blue Ox from Sacramento to Salinas.  None had any experience with an Edge so I decided to install it myself and glad I did.  The Etrailer and Blue Ox baseplate installation videos helped a lot, but they had some errors.  The Blue Ox errors were substantial because they pertained to cutting the grill.  My advice is to cut the holes too small and then make them bigger a little at a time.  Very time consuming, but ended up with a great looking job.

One of my complaints with the Etrailer video was they use black plastic tape extensively to secure wire bundles.  I hate that stuff for bundling since it makes a black glue mess.  Instead I used split flex tubing and tie-wraps.  One of my biggest challenges was to get the wire bundles through the firewall for the aux braking system and battery disconnect switch.  The Etrailer video made it look easy but that was not the case for my 2017 model.  I ended up drilling a one inch hole through the firewall near the battery.  I don't want wires rubbing against the sharp firewall metal so I put a 4-5 inch length of the split flex tubing in the hole to act as a grommet.  I wrapped one end of the tubing with multiple wraps of plastic tape and that end is inside the vehicle with the wraps of tape acting to keep the tubing from falling out of the hole into the engine compartment.  The additional length of tubing in the engine compartment keeps it from moving into the car interior.

My Tiffin Allegro Bus weights about 38,000 pounds (450HP and 1200 ft lb torque) and I can't tell much of a difference (if any) when the car is being towed.

I installed the following (mostly from Etrailer):

Blue Ox        BX2667 Base plate (adaptive cruise control)

Roadmaster RM-766 Battery disconnect

Hopkins        56011 Tail light kit

Hopkins        HM48480 7-way connector

SMI              Stay-In-Play Duo for aux braking

RVibrake      Towed Battery Charger to keep the toad battery charged

Coastline      Car cover.

QUESTION

Does anybody have information about towing the Edge with the battery connected?  The Ford instructions say the battery should be disconnected for towing but doesn't say why.  Is is just a concern about depleting the battery charge or is there some other problem?  Any experience/information would be appreciated.

I flat tow a Fiat 500 Abarth (much lighter that our Edge ST) and use a Break Buddy.  I worried about running down the cars battery but didn’t get the correct cable to run a charge back system to the tow car.  My solution was a deep cycle battery in a nice battery case with a standard 12 volt receptacle built in.  I sit the battery box on the passenger side, plug in the Break Buddy, and never have to worry about my car battery draining.  When we get to our destination I charge up the extra battery and use it as a portable power supply around camp.

First post and very long I'm afraid.

eTrailer, very good outfit to deal with, supplied almost everything I needed last winter to set up my 2015 Edge 3.5 SEL for flat towing.

I went with a Roadmaster  direct connect base plate as well as their wiring kit, stop light switch kit, battery disconnect & charge line from the RV,  tow bar & tow bar screen.

Wiring kit does NOT come with a couple required diodes for the LED taillights. You have to hunt them up. Mine came from Amazon. Buy extras as they are kind of fragile ?

Feeding lots of wires through the grommet behind the battery is a royal pain in the butt.

I ran the wires for the taillights through the car as access is pretty easy along the drivers side plates and panels and it's better protected than under the car.

The video on etrailer shows bolts being accessed through the front behind the fenderwell guards. Forget it !

Remove the headlights, CAREFULLY, and you can get those pesky bolts out.

I had hoped the tow bar screen would protect the car adequately.

I was wrong. Lots of stone chips along both sides and the hood.

I have since added one of the mudguard/skirts under the RVs rear bumper which will, hopefully, help to better protect the car and it's a lot cheaper than the tow guard screen was.

One last issue or concern ?

The paper work for the base plate calls for the mounting bolts to be checked every 3,000 MILES !!!

I really don't plan to disassemble the front of the car all that often.

Forgot to say, went with Blue Ox Patriot II for a braking system for the car.

EdgeToad

As for the 3,000 miles check up, I agree that would be a pain.  For me as long as RED LOCKTITE was used for the initial installation and the bolts/nuts were properly torqued, I wouldn't worry too much.  Do you trust the person who did the install?  About a month ago I met a couple who were toadless because their baseplate tore loose and their car proceeded to self-drive across a median and hit an oncoming car.  During the wreckage inspection they discovered some bolts that were supposed to fasten the baseplate to the car did not tear loose from their car.  They were missing and the holes they were supposed to go through were undamaged.  Either the bolts were never installed or they came apart.  Apparently they did not have safety cables connecting the baseplate to the car.  Safety cables can be hard to install and I can envision a person who did a poor baseplate install would just leave off the safety cables without telling the owner.  The more I do this sort of stuff, the less I leave to trust.  That is why I did my own install.

Very few people use a car cover, but I won't drive without mine.  Last summer I drove in British Columbia, Alberta, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, and several US states without nicks to the covered portion of my car (including windshield).  I got my car cover from Coastline RV and Off Road  https://rvandoffroad.com/rv-and-towables  (760) 948-1664  It is a bother to put on and off but I want to protect my paint and windshield.  It does not cover the mirrors but he has covers for those also.  The only damage I got during that trip was cracked skylight windows (both).  My Tiffin Allegro Bus seems to throw stones on top of my car.  Sometimes I could just lift the stones off the top of my car after a day's drive.